This week’s ingredient of the week is celery!
Step aside, apples and spinach. It’s time to celebrate the unsung vegetable: celery!
Our boxes have been sent out for this week (we hope you’re enjoying all the fresh ingredients and great recipes you’ve received!) and one of the star ingredients is celery.
It’s known to be a great addition to stir-fries and soups, and here’s why it’s our ingredient of the week
Helps Lower High Cholesterol
- Butylphthalide is the component found in celery which gives it its flavor and scent. But that’s not all it does — the compound also reduces bad cholesterol.
- Eating more celery will bring you much-needed relief if you’re suffering from pains in your joints, lung infections, acne, or asthma.
Helps Prevent or Treat High Blood Pressure
- Phthalides, another active compound in celery, has been proven to boost circulatory health.
Helps Prevent Ulcers
- Celery can help prevent or reduce the formation of painful ulcers. The special ethanol extract found in celery is useful in protecting the lining of the digestive tract from ulcers.
Protects Liver Health
- The more celery, the more liver health improves, and the less dangerous fat-buildup within the liver.
Beneficial for Weight Loss
- Despite it being so nutrient-dense, it’s extremely low in calories. This ingredient will help you lose weight, because of its ability to provide you with vital nutrients, and to help you regulate lipid (fat) metabolism.
Boosts Digestion and Reduces Bloating
- Celery seeds have an odorless and oily compound known as NBP that has a diuretic effect and helps your body to detox.
Contains Anti-Microbial Properties That Fight Infections
- It has been used for centuries as an herbal medicine, and has been found to significantly purify and reduce the growth of bacteria.
A tip for the home chefs:
Don’t wash celery right away after bringing it home, because this can cause it go bad quicker. Store it while it’s dry, wrapped in a paper towel if you’d like, inside the refrigerator for about 5–7 days at the most!
Check out our menu for next week: https://hellochef.me/menu/
Follow us on Instagram: Instagram.com/hellochefme
Find us on Facebook: Facebook.com/hellochefme
Start Cooking with Us
Fresh ingredients. Great recipes. Delivered weekly.
This week’s Ingredient of the week is Quinoa! Quinoa is one of the many great ingredients that are being sent out in our Hello Chef! boxes this week, and it is considered to be a superfood. You’ve probably seen countless articles about the incredible health benefits of “superfoods.” Here’s the thing: There’s no official designation […]
TURMERIC – THE GOLDEN SPICE. When it comes to spices, many of us think of them as flavor enhancers in food. While that’s true, most spices contain a ton of health benefits. However, there’s only one spice that stands out in particular and that’s turmeric! Turmeric has been used in traditional Indian cooking for thousands […]
Got some garlic cloves hanging around? Don’t throw them out! Here’s a delicious way to make use of them. Ingredients: Garlic Cloves – 6 (Peeled) Olive Oil Butter (Optional) Dill Parsley ½ Baguette Salt to taste Aluminium Foil Directions: Squeeze some garlic cloves in a pot and pour some olive oil […]
Give a warm welcome to yet another soup trend – turn lasagne, tacos or chilli con carne into a hearty soup! Lasagne, Tacos and Chilli Con Carne are always considered as warm, filling and comforting. You can now enjoy the familiar flavours of classic dishes, but with fewer calories. Does this sound like a recipe for success? […]
Goodbye juice cleanse, here comes souping. Want to lose weight? This trendy diet plan can be the kickstart you’re looking for. Here’s a business idea for a wanna-be-entrepreneur in the UAE. Set up a company that offers soup cleanses! That’s right: souping is the new health trend, and one that makes so much sense that […]
Ahoy! Our next super food comes from the sea. Healthy seaweed could be the new kale – when consumed in moderation. Kale chips came and conquered the health food aisles – and they won’t be buried into lower shelves any time soon. But have you ever snacked on seaweed? If not, soon you might! Seaweeds have […]
It appears that the people of foodie world have discovered a new destination. Portugal! Are you making plans for summer vacation? If so, you might want to consider Lisbon. It’s hot, hot, hot! Speaking of hot, the first Portuguese food item you’ll probably fall in love with (like me) is the piri piri sauce. It […]
Let’s get on top of food trends this year – it will be worth it Read about the mouthwatering year 2017 you’re about to have. Sometimes I really just want to ignore food trends (excuse me, insects?) or wish they would just pass by very quickly – without me having to get on […]